Friday, October 29, 2021

Change

Growing up in rural western Pennsylvania, and then living in suburban Philadelphia for 10 years, I miss the changing of the leave during fall in Florida. In fact, I think Florida doesn't have much seasonal change at all. But, since I've been going to the arboretum regularly, about every 2 weeks, I've discovered that I am wrong! With these frequent visits with nature, I am brought into awareness of change: new blooms, dropping blossoms and leaves, ripening fruit. 

I took my advanced modern class to the arboretum on 10/28, to explore ecosomatic connections. While we were there, I documented all the things that had changed since I was there the last time, 3 weeks before, because of fall break. 

Being aware of our more than human kin can highlight change and progress. Even when we feel stuck, or like nothing is happening, nature reminds us that, as Irmgard Bartenieff liked to say "the only constant is change". 

The Chenille Plant was flowering. I call this one "Muppet Fingers". It's incredibly soft. 

Dicots fruiting. 

Pinball blossoms. 

The Seek app couldn't identify this one, but it definitely wasn't in bloom when I was there before. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

KINesphere 2023

 Did you miss our Everglades performances in January 2023? Or want to relive it from your home?  Check out the video of all performances, no...