Monday, December 5, 2022

Taking up Space

 I (Nicole) was working working on my own solo for KINesphere (yes, I'm performing this year!) today in the Everglades. I was playing with the space that was both paved and grassy. I was starting to feel a little bad about continuing to step on the wildflowers and disturb the bees and butterflies there. And then, I felt/heard very clearly, coming from the Earth, "Then don't." 

While I do consider myself spiritual, I don't really expect the Earth to speak to me. And yet, undeniably, she was. She told me she had already given space for me to be human and tramp around- it was the paved space. The space where the wildflowers were were the space for them to be, with the bee, butterflies and whatever else. We could share space. But I needed to honor what the Earth had already given up to create space for me, before I started claiming space as my own. 

I felt my settler colonial-ness quite clearly. I wasn't grateful for what was already existing. I was thinking only about what I wanted, what I thought would serve my purposes. I changed my mindset to gratitude. For the beauty of the water, the plants, the animals and insects that were with me. That this was a place where we could all share space.  That the Earth was willing to share with me, as long as I was respectful and grateful for what she and her children had already given, as long as I didn't demand or take. 

So. I don't know that our dances will be taking place all on the pavement or all on the grass. But I do know that if you see us on the grass, it's because we have entered with gratitude, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

KINesphere 2023

 Did you miss our Everglades performances in January 2023? Or want to relive it from your home?  Check out the video of all performances, no...